The Heisman Trophy Presentation
It’s been another entertaining year of college football and as always, there are always a few players that stand out and have people talking about them all season long. Five of those guys have been invited to New York City and one will join a prestigious club in college football. Let’s meet these guys that have been nominated for the biggest award in college football.
1. Lamar Jackson (Louisville)– Two years ago, he wasn’t considered a must see recruit out of South Florida. Now, he’s become must-see-tv and he’s a superstar as a true sophomore. In 12 games, he has accounted for a total of 51 touchdown passes (30 passing and 21 rushing) and he was the key element to this Cardinals offense. Let’s look more into the numbers. He was ranked 11th nationally in passing scores and fourth in rushing scores. They were the nation’s top scoring offense. At one point, he had everyone talking about him and the clinic he would put on the field. What a year and depending on how long he will remain in school, he could be a finalist next year as well.
2. Deshaun Watson (Clemson)– It’s really no shocker to see him back in New York City for this award again, For the second straight year, he has Clemson back in the playoffs with a chance to get back to the National Title game. He had a great year in 2016. He finished this season sixth in the nation with 3,914 yards and tying for fifth with 37 touchdown passes. This year, he became more of a pocket passer and elected to beat teams with his arm instead of being so predictable with his legs as he was a season ago. What will also help his cause I think is the fact that he has a head to head victory over the presumptive front-runner for the award.
3. Jabrill Peppers (Michigan)– Mr. Everything himself. He isn’t a stats guy necessarily, but look at what he’s able to do on the field, hence why I refer to him as Mr. Everything because of his style of play. His natural position is a safety but he has the instincts to play linebacker, he can cover as a cornerback, he takes snaps at quarterback, lines up as a running back, a receiver, he returns kickoffs and punt returns and wherever he is on the field, he makes something happen. This season, he has one interception, three sacks, 66 tackles and 170 yards of offense and four touchdowns between offense and special teams.
4. Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma)– He’s been one of my favorite players to discuss and breakdown over the last year or so. He’s the definition of a fierce competitor and he plays the game of football with a lot of grit and toughness. The Sooners started the season 1-2, but went on to win nine in a row to close the season out and won the Big-12 outright for the second straight season. His numbers are very impressive. He threw 38 touchdown passes and only eight interceptions. His passer rating of 198 led the country by a large margin and he’s also the leader in yards per throw with 11.
5. Dede Westbrook (Oklahoma)- With Sterling Shepard now playing professionally, this kid came in and put together quite the season and became Baker Mayfield’s go to guy. He’s the best wide receiver in the country. He has tremendous speed to beat the defender at the line of scrimmage, his route running is phenomenal for a guy still playing at the college level and he shows great breakaway speed once the ball is in his hands. He averaged 19.8 yards a reception and scored 16 touchdowns in 2016.
Prediction: Lamar Jackson will win the Heisman this Saturday night. He was a lock to win this award after Louisville’s thrashing of Florida State in which I called his “Heisman moment”. Every winner has had that and that was his as he led the Louisville Cardinals to a big win over then ranked number two Florida State. When he took games over, he never took his foot off the gas.