1. Alabama Crimson Tide– Seven weeks in, and they are still on top of the mountain once again in this week’s power rankings. This could be Nick Saban’s best defense he’s had since becoming the team’s head coach. It seems as if I’m saying the same thing about them each week, they simply continue to dominate week in and week out. Today will be the toughest offense that they’ve seen all year-long when they face Dobbs and the Tennessee Volunteers in Knoxville then it’s Texas A&M next weekend.
2. Michigan Wolverines– If I had to answer who could really be that top threat to Alabama, this is it right here. This is the best team in college football not in Tuscaloosa. The offense scores and the defense can prevent you from doing what you do best. Jabril Peppers, what more can we say about this kid? He’s a Heisman candidate and makes his case to be invited to New York City. Jim Harbaugh is simply finishing what he started last season and so far, he’s got them at 6-0.
3. Ohio State Buckeyes– They didn’t necessarily look their best against Indiana last week, but you wouldn’t think that if you saw the score. J.T. Barrett only threw for 93 yards but where he made the difference was the rushing side of things. 26 carries and 137 yards rushing and that’s by a quarterback. Now, it’s a trip to Madison to face a Badgers team in what could be a preview of the Big Ten title game in Indianapolis come this December.
4. Clemson Tigers– They’ve more than likely heard people saying they haven’t looked the best and they’ve used that as fuel to their engine. The short week looked to do some wonders for them as they put together their most complete game of the season with the win over Boston College. DeShaun Watson led a balanced attacked and showed he’s still one of the best players in the nation. Now it’s onto NC State before the big showdown with Florida State next weekend.
5. Washington Huskies– Jake Browning continues to put together a really nice season for the Huskies. Last week, he led them to a 70-21 win and accounted for eight touchdowns in the win and helped his team snap a 12 game losing streak and stated their case as they continue to show they are the class of the Pac-12.