1. Julio Jones has a big game against the Panthers– Would this be the day the Panthers bounce back after losing two of their first three games of the year or would the Falcons get the W to remain in first in the NFC South? Everything just seemed to go the Falcons way and Matt Ryan along with Julio Jones had a big time day against the defending NFC champions. Matt Ryan had 500 yards passing and Julio Jones was on the receiving end and had 300 yards. The Falcons are now 3-1 and sitting atop the NFC South and the Panthers have now lost more games this year than they did all of the last year.
2. Clemson holds off Louisville- This was the game of the weekend. Two top five quarterbacks and top five teams in the polls were set to battle. Clemson had a 19 game winning streak at home entering this one and Louisville was steamrolling their opponents and scoring at ease on any defense. Louisville got off to a fast start but then Clemson struck back and as we expected, the game would come down to one final play and Clemson held off Louisville to remain undefeated.
3. Raiders win a big game in Baltimore- I’ve been very impressed with both teams. The Ravens were off to one of their best starts in 10 years and the Raiders weren’t doing so bad themselves. It was a back and forth game and looked as if Baltimore was going to improve to 4-0 after the Raiders fumbled the football. Not necessarily. They drove down the field and Michael Crabtree scored the game-winning touchdown to help the Raiders improve to 3-1 and win their third road game of the season.
4. Bills shut down Patriots- This was the final game before the much-anticipated return of Tom Brady’s four-game suspension. Brissett got the start after Garoppolo was ruled out due to his shoulder injury. It wasn’t a good day at the office for the Patriots. For the first time since 2003, they failed to score. The Bills have now won two games in a row.
5. Seahawks defeat Jets- This was the Seahawks first time playing in East Rutherford since defeating the Broncos in the Super Bowl two seasons ago. Russell Wilson has been battling knee and ankle injuries all year long and the Jets haven’t looked as good as people expected them to look. I remember stating on the air that if I was a Jets defender, I’d be rushing Wilson often to test his legs knowing he wasn’t 100 percent. It didn’t work and Ryan Fitzpatrick threw three more picks to give him nine interceptions in his last two games.