1. Alabama Crimson Tide– They are just continuing to roll right now and I don’t think they have any signs of slowing anything down at all. At this point, I don’t even see a team in their own conference defeating them. Last Saturday on the radio, I remember saying when it’s time for the SEC Championship game, I can easily see them entering that game with a zero in that loss column. They host Kentucky tonight at home in their second conference game of the young season then travel to Arkansas on October 8th for another tough road test potentially.
2. Ohio State Buckeyes– The last time we saw them before their bye week, they were coming off a huge win in Norman over the Oklahoma Sooners. They now sit at 3-0 with their next two games against Rutgers today at home, Indiana next weekend at home and then a tilt with a potentially unbeaten Wisconsin Badgers team on October 15th. J.T. Barrett has played like a Heisman candidate so far this year. Let’s see how he looks when he enters conference play. That could tell us a lot.
3. Louisville Cardinals– It’s safe to say it took them a while to get started in their game last week against Marshall, but they cruised to another lopsided W last week to improve their record to 4-0. Lamar Jackson accounted for seven more touchdowns and no, that’s no typo. It’s all facts. Now, we prepare to see the big game. Louisville and Clemson tonight and if Jackson has a big game in this one, this will officially be his “Heisman Moment”.
4. Houston Cougars– In the last three weeks, they’ve recorded three straight blowouts and for all of October, they will look to remain unbeaten until their showdown on November 17th with the Louisville Cardinals in a battle of top five quarterbacks in the country. The more I watch them, the more Tom Herman shows why he’s such a good coach and the more I become a total believer in them.
5. Michigan Wolverines– They’ve scored a total of 209 points in their first four games. When they opened up Big Ten play against Penn State last week, they defeated them by 39 points and continue to just keep rolling up wins. They’ve won nine of their last ten games dating back to last season. Now, they face their toughest test of the entire season. A showdown with the Badgers from Wisconsin in what could be the most important battle in the Big Ten this year.