1. Alabama Crimson Tide– Okay so as you get set to read this, you automatically knew they’d be claiming this top spot and they looked very impressive against USC. Here I was thinking it’d be a closer game and they just rolled by them and dominated the game. They decided to start Blake Barnett and he struggled to get anything going in the beginning then Saban puts in Jalen Hurts and they looked like a much different team with him under center. They still showed they are the team to beat this year and it doesn’t matter who’s on the field for them, they will work with they have. It’s the Nick Saban way.
2. Florida State Seminoles– They deserve this spot right here especially after their performance on Monday night against a good Ole Miss team. You talk about a game being a tale of two halves, Ole Miss was simply having their way and the Seminoles were struggling in every phase of the game. From what I was told on the radio on Wednesday, Jimbo Fisher wasn’t able to rip into his team due to a sore throat so a familiar face did it. Remember a guy named Jameis Winston? After his fiery speech, Florida State played inspired and erased a 22 point deficit to win by 11 points. This is a huge win to give your team some confidence moving forward for the rest of the season.
3. Houston Cougars– They are turning the naysayers into believers now after a huge win over a team that’s considered to be a contender in the Oklahoma Sooners. They embrace the underdog role and ever since Tom Herman took the job as the Cougars head coach, Houston is 4-0 when they are the underdog. I’m now officially sold on them. They can compete with any team in the country they feel. The crazy thing about their schedule is they won’t play another ranked team until November 17th when the Louisville Cardinals come to town. It’ll be interesting to see what their record will be by that time.
4. Clemson Tigers– I was too impressed with them in Auburn last Saturday. Auburn played them very tough and stayed with them the entire game. The one shining point I saw was Clemson wide receiver Mike Williams and he returned after being sidelined last season with a neck injury and what I took away from watching him Saturday night was how much bigger, stronger and faster he looked and he had his way with the Auburn secondary. He caught nine passes for 174 yards. They escaped the scare with a six-point victory.
5. Ohio State Buckeyes– We all wondered how the Buckeyes would show up with all the youth and inexperience. Here’s the thing, never count out an Urban Meyer coached football team and J.T. Barrett had a great game for these Buckeyes and look at the numbers they put up. 77 points, 776 yards of total offense which is a school record. I didn’t notice much youth and inexperience.